Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Cody Horse

So, when I was able to ride horses for Mississippi College, I became instantly attached to Cody Horse. He was soft. Softer than any other horse. Before and after every ride, he rubbed his head on my tummy and looked at me with his big brown eyes. He always wanted to be near me. He would fuss like crazy when I would leave him to put the tack away. I called him my 'man' and would kiss his velvet nose often. He had the strangest trot of all the horses and no one else could stay controlled when trotting with him. Even when other riders rode him, he would try to get close to me. I sneaked him hay whenever I got the chance. There was a hill that led up to his stable. He and I would always race up it together. I would run hard and he would gracefully trot up it. His sensitivity with the bit in his mouth, taught me how to carefully maneuver him with strict discipline. All the other horses required crops and force to make them move, but Cody Horse simply needed sharp orders with gentle hands. He was forgiving when after not riding him for a while I messed up on giving orders. We cantered perfectly together. He listened to my hands and legs. Our jumps were smooth. We trotted around the arena beautifully and would both be dripping in sweat afterwards. He loved getting wet in the hose after a hard ride. He was tall, really tall. He taught me so much about discipline and about my limits. When I would be exhausted in the middle of a ride, he would turn his head around to look at me. He nuzzled my shoes when  I let him take a breather. We worked so well together. It was an amazing time in my life. I would go to the barn and prepare for my lesson. Then, I would go get Cody Horse from his stall. We would ride so smoothly and focused. Whatever I was stressing about before, disappeared when I got onto his back. He was my most favorite horse to work with. I truly cannot wait to get back into riding and hopefully work with him again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment